'Strings Attached' Idiom Meaning and Examples

The idiom "strings attached" is an expression used to indicate that a certain favor or benefit comes with conditions or limitations.

It is usually used to refer to an offer that sounds too good to be true, because it often is. This idiom can be used both in literal and figurative contexts.

"strings attached" meaning and sample sentences

Synonyms for this phrase include “conditional offer”, “conditional favor”, “conditional benefit” or “with a catch”.

This idiom is a noun phrase, used to refer to the conditions that accompany a certain offer or benefit.

The origin of this phrase is not known, but it is likely related to the idea of being attached to strings, or something that can be easily manipulated or controlled.

Examples of how this idiom can be used in a sentence include:
  1. I heard he's giving out free computers but with strings attached.
  2. She said I could use her car, but there were strings attached.
  3. He offered me a promotion, but of course there are strings attached.
  4. He said he'll pay for dinner, but I'm sure there are strings attached.
  5. I'm suspicious of this offer - there must be strings attached.
  6. She said she'd help me out, but I have a feeling there are strings attached.
  7. I'm sure there are strings attached if he's offering you a job.
  8. It sounds too good to be true - there must be strings attached.
  9. I know there are strings attached to his offer - what are they?
  10. I'm sure there are strings attached to this deal - what are they?

Post a Comment

0 Comments